Monday, July 22, 2013

Three gates rebuild

When I rebuilt an area of fence with three gates, Daisy kept me company some days.  Usually Daisy only ranges as far as the corral, hayshed and a very short distance into the hayfield near the house and corral. But I got her to come in me a few times while I worked.  She was nervous about being out in the open with no cover nearby.

Here she is the first day I started the rebuild.  She paced back and forth looking here and there.  I don't think she lasted a half hour before she went back to the corral and barn and waited for me there.





Here Daisy is waiting for me near the corral.



By the end of the fence rebuild Daisy got braver and would stay out with me for longer periods of time.  I also found she liked shade.  When not searching for mice in the hayfield, or laying on the old pile of wooden posts, she would lay in the shadow of the wheelbarrow.  Otherwise she would stay longer with me in the evening when the sun was not so hot - and this was back in May when the high temperatures barely reached 70 degrees.


Daisy often would accompany me when I got railroad ties or posts for the rebuild.




I store the railroad ties on blocks to keep them off the ground. Daisy would "give me a heart attack" when she would go under the ties and lay there.  There is a lot of weight on those old blocks and I don't trust the blocks would hold up, especially when I was moving ties around.  None of the blocks crumbled, but I would have to stop work when Daisy went underneath them.


No comments: