Sunday, August 17, 2014

Zonked

When Tammy was here she wanted Daisy inside the house when it got dark.  I'm a little more lenient.  With the warm weather Daisy often spends much of the night outside and then sleeps much of the day.  Now that it isn't as hot Daisy doesn't spend as much time outside at night and not as much inside during the day.  That's her choice.

Being outside more at night means Daisy is catching more mice.  She has caught at least 52 mice so far this year.  Only a few less than she caught in all of 2013.

A downside of Daisy spending much of the night outside is that when she is hungry she comes to the door by my bedroom or the window and meows to be let inside just long enough to eat. Then she goes back outside.  Often I get up a few times a night to let her in and out of the house.


The past few evenings Daisy has been following me to the pasture to accompany me while I spray weeds. Tonight Daisy may not have wanted to go spray weeds as she would grab my leg as I started walking in the yard.  One time she grabbed onto my pants leg and pulled on it to stop me from walking.  Eventually she gave up and followed me to the pasture since that was the only way she could spend time with me right then.

We worked until dark Saturday night and didn't have time to see the river.  Tonight I sprayed close enough to the river that Daisy could wander over there while I sprayed.  I took a break when she first approached the river on a high river bank.  She got saucer eyes when she first saw the river.  Even high on the bank she slowly and cautiously approached the edge of the river bank to look down on the river.

As I worked my way along the pasture Daisy had several opportunities to view the river.  The one time the river bank was low the grass was so high she didn't find the river as the thick grass towered way above her.  Daisy mainly moved along when I did and didn't stray too far from me so she never really wanted to go all the way to the river.

When I was done spraying I walked to the river bank.  It was a high bank with a steep incline to the water.  Daisy was content to stay up on the river bank.  She never figured out that a river is made of water.  I could see her studying the river but she wasn't brave enough to approach it.

On the way back to the house I checked a pocket gopher trap and found I finally caught this pocket gopher.  Daisy promptly laid in the pocket gopher's hole as Daisy likes laying in holes.  She then listened to an owl's screech in the next pasture.

I am in part of the pasture with less weeds so I am doing more walking.  And so is Daisy.

Now that the second bedroom is no longer Tammy's office I reassembled the bed and placed it back in there.  Daisy has claimed it as her bed.


No comments: