Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Crossing the road

Tuesday I learned Jan's cat - Jade (or JD) - was struck and killed over the weekend.  She was found on the side of the road across from their house.

I've noticed Daisy is leery about the road and vehicles, but early one morning Donna saw Daisy cross the road back to the ranch. I don't think there are any, or many, mice nearby on the ranch so Daisy is expanding her hunting range.  And one night I found cockle-burs in her fur - and I got rid of all those weeds on the ranch.  Across the road those weeds exist, so when removing the cockle-burs from her fur I had a talk with Daisy about not crossing the road.


2 comments:

BLD in MT said...

We've trained Ginger to stay in the backyard because of the traffic on our street. I don't know what I'd do with myself if she got hit like that. You're poor neighbor! Poor kitty! Fortunately the garden keeps Ginger flush in earthworms and grasshoppers and the compost pile offers the occasion mice. (She actually ate a baby mouse whole a couple days ago) So, she's happy in the backyard, I think. I hope Daisy took your talk to heart, but barring that I hope she at least looks both ways before she crosses! :)

Tall Pines said...

Daisy is a smart cat. She also appears to be leery of vehicles. Whenever I have been in the yard near the road Daisy always hung back from the road and had no interest in what was on the other side. Whenever a loud vehicle came by Daisy would move halfway back to the house.

The road traffic can be dangerous. The speed limit is 35 mph but most people drive much faster. Along the yard and NE pasture where Daisy roams the road bends slightly so it is dangerous area to cross. Especially as the traffic does not seem to slow down much going through the bend.