Friday, February 19, 2021

Burial

This afternoon I buried Daisy. The night Daisy died the Flathead Pet Emergency clinic gave me the option of them disposing Daisy for me, have Daisy cremated, or I could take Daisy's remains home.  

Cremation is ok, but I preferred to have Daisy's body buried in the front yard. Of course the ground is now frozen more solid than anything this Winter.  The clinic said they could keep Daisy for me until the weekend.



Thursday I asked my neighbor Curtis if he had a blow torch I could use so I could thaw the ground.  He asked me, "Why not have a fire to thaw the ground?"   Duh. Of course. I still have lots of tree branches piled for burning tree stumps later.

Thursday I put the pallet forks on the tractor and got some tree branches.  I wasn't sure how much fire I would need to thaw the ground so I got two loads of branches. It turns out I only needed less than one load of branches.


The end of Thursday afternoon and evening I had a bonfire.  I figured the ashes would continue to heat the ground overnight and I would start back up with a fire today.



Overnight it snowed once again.  Not what I wanted. But fortunately it was only an inch or so of snow.   This morning the ashes were still a little warm.  


The good news was the ground was thawed and I could dig a hole for Daisy.   This afternoon I got Daisy from the clinic and buried him.


I'm still heartbroken over Daisy's death.  The ranch will never be the same without Daisy to help me.

1 comment:

BLD in MT said...

I know it doesn't make the pain of loss any easier to bear, but I am glad you were able to give Daisy a home burial. It seems fitting. Right. As in the memories that you treasure, that means Daisy will always be there with you and become part of the land he roamed and enjoyed those good years.

Rest easy, good kitty. You were so valued and loved.

My condolences and sympathy, Mr. Tall Pines.