Friday, February 13, 2015

Hay mice

Today was time for another hay bale for the cattle.

When I moved the tarp to get the bale I planned to move I found two dead mice on the ground by the bale.  In the week since I last moved a bale Daisy caught and killed two mice and left them for me to find.  I also found signs where the mice had burrowed holes into the hay bales.




When I returned from moving the bale to the feeder I decided to take the tarp off to let the sun dry the damp bales.



Of course Daisy was "on top of things" as usual.



A little bit later Daisy came with a mouse.



Since Daisy was tapping the mouse to get a reaction, the mouse found that playing dead was not working so it ran for the hay bales.


That didn't work as Daisy caught it again.  Then the mouse ran under the lumber I had on the ground.  It played hike and seek with Daisy.  I stood by the hay bales blocking the mouse when it would try to make a break for it.  Once Daisy got off the lumber I moved the lumber away.  Then Daisy and the mouse had a game of hike and seek with a 4 by 4 board as you can see below.

The mouse thinks Daisy can't see it.  Daisy is also hiding from the mouse.


When the mouse doesn't make a break for it Daisy decides to provoke it to move.



"Come on!  Do something!"

The mouse didn't want to play anymore so Daisy quickly put an end to "play time" permanently.

That makes six mice caught for the year.  That I know of, as yesterday I noticed Daisy's tracks in the snow where she had gone over to visit the neighbor.  Who knows how many mice she has caught over there.

No comments: