Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Helping with hay

Today Daisy helped me get another large hay bale for the cattle.

First I had to get the cattle into the loading corral so I could drag a bale into the corral.   Some cows would go in the loading corral via one gate; other cows would not and would only go in using the other gate. Then I had one red calf that was a problem.  He or she didn't follow the cows in.  Even though the cows were in the loading corral calling for the calf it would not go in the gate when I tried to herd it through the gate.  It ran to the other gate which was now closed.  I then opened that gate and the calf ran back to the other gate.

*sigh*

I was able to close the inner loading corral gate and that prevented the cattle from exiting while I herded the calf around and around and finally into the loading corral runway.

Finally!

The rest of the hay move and prep went smoothly.


The next few photos are Daisy watching me pull the twine off the bale.



No comments: