Monday, June 29, 2015

Hot day and bad birds

The high temperature today was 101 degrees F.  Hot.

Daisy started the morning sleeping by me.  Even after I went outside to check on the heifers Daisy slept in my bed.  I had to leave my t-shirt as Daisy was using it as pillow.


Early afternoon she laid in the house as it was cooler than outside.



Later in the afternoon, even though it was 100 degrees outside, Daisy wanted to lay outside.  I had a sprinkler going nearby but even so, I didn't think it took the edge off the heat.



The past so many days Daisy likes it when I go and work in the pasture after 4 or 5 pm.   She happily comes with me when it is not as hot or bright outside.  Saturday night I started to rebuild a short section of fence near the river in the north pasture.  The old fence here was a couple of strands of barb wire on 2 by 4s as posts.  That was back when I didn't have fence posts.  2 by 4s as posts don't last many years and this Spring the cattle pushed half the fence over.

Saturday night I pounded five real posts in the ground.  Daisy laid on the log when not checking stuff out.  A bird - not a killdeer - was nearby and was making a racket to distract Daisy from finding her nest.


Sunday evening after 7 pm Daisy and I went back out there.  I had five more posts to pound into the ground before taking down the rest of the old fence and hanging three strands of barb wire.  

Daisy followed me.  When I got to the river I discovered Daisy heading back towards home in a slinky scared fast manner.  Because it was still hot she was panting when she ran.  I went and got her and carried her to the river. She laid at my feet and was on high alert.  When I moved away to go and work on the fence, and only four feet away, a swallow dive bombed Daisy.

Daisy ran a few feet to a small group of short evergreen trees and cover.  A few swallows were circling around.  When one came in to swoop down on Daisy among the short trees I yelled and waved my arms to scare the bird off.  I also scared Daisy and she ran over to a fallen tree. The birds must have been why Daisy earlier had turned around and started back towards home.

She walked under the tree trunk until she found refuge in the tree roots.



I let her be as she felt safe here.   A while later when it seemed as if the birds had gone I got Daisy and carried her back to where I was working.  I didn't see any birds but the trees got noisy from birds making a racket.  That unnerved Daisy.  Even though she initially took cover in the small evergreen trees nearby soon she went back to her safe place under the tree root.

Daisy stayed there until I got ready to leave.  Even with such a dry Spring, the mosquitoes were killing me.  And it was getting dark.  I can finish the last half strand of wire tomorrow morning.  As I packed up Daisy came out.  By now the birds were silent.  Daisy was still cautious.   It is too bad about the birds as Daisy enjoys laying in the grass nearby as I work on fence.

No comments: