Thursday, April 21, 2016

Calf checking and water trough hole

Daisy often comes with me first thing in the morning when I go and check for new baby calves.  No new calves this morning.



Daisy waits for me as I walk around counting the baby calves as I look for new ones.


Are you done yet?!


Yesterday on a nice and warm afternoon I scrubbed the cast iron cattle water trough to clean it.  The scrubbing revealed a small hole.




Several years ago the water trough had several similar small holes.   I had some JB-Weld and was able to fix the holes.  This time I was out of JB-Weld.  I used a different glue mixture.  Now to let it cure for a day.


After we checked for calves Daisy kept me company as I fixed the hole.



In the meantime I am using another water trough.  It is not as nice for Daisy this trough doesn't have a lip where Daisy can stand or sit and drink when the water level is lower.  Even though this trough is slightly taller Daisy can reach the water when the trough is full.


2 comments:

BLD in MT said...

What a good life she's got! How many calves you expecting this spring?

Tall Pines said...

I think Daisy even admits she has it good here.

I have had 11 calves born so far. Two left to be born. Both from first time mothers. Probably will be about a week as I believe they went into heat a week to ten days after Rose did.