Sunday, September 17, 2017

Mouse in the house

Not a lot of news about Daisy this Summer. We have our routine.  She spends most of her time outside.  Maybe a little too much time outside.  Often she is over at one of the neighbors searching for mice. Yesterday when we were walking out to the pasture to fix a fence Daisy got sidetracked by the need to check out the neighbor's 'stuff' for mice.   Over the Summer I have had to trap three mice in the house.  I first noticed the mice when I discovered one mouse eating Daisy's cat food.  I opened the house's crawl space so Daisy could search for the mouse but she didn't find it. 

I had to set Daisy's food on the counter when she wasn't eating it and then set a trap with peanut butter to catch the mouse.  The mouse had such a light touch that it would lick the peanut butter off the trap without triggering it.  Finally I pushed part of a peanut in the trap's curl and then caught the mouse, followed by two more over the next week.

No mice for a while.  Until last night.  I was on my computer and Daisy was laying on my lap when I looked down to see a small mouse by my computer tower.  Excitement ensued.

Daisy grabbed the mouse and then dropped it in the middle of the floor.  She caught it a few more times.  She wouldn't kill it; she wanted to play with it.  Before I could open a door for her to take it outside the mouse got away from Daisy.

Then it was a game of lifting furniture to find the mouse.  Before Daisy could get it the mouse ran under another piece of furniture.  When I lifted the loveseat Daisy laid down to watch the mouse as I held the loveseat up by one corner.   Kill it Daisy!!!   The mouse made a break for it and we tracked it through more furniture.

Eventually we both lost it.  After a short search Daisy got bored and wanted to go outside.

*sigh*

So I am now back to putting her cat food up where a mouse can't get to it.  I reset the mouse trap with fresh peanut butter.

I told Daisy she needs to catch that mouse.  Instead I found a dead mouse from Daisy on my front step this morning to show me she is catching and killing mice.

No comments: