Saturday, September 30, 2017

Tearing up the house

I was sewing a pair of my jeans shortly after noon when Daisy came walking over with a mouse in her mouth.

"See what I caught?!"

I tried to get Daisy to go outside with the mouse but she dropped it on the floor in front of where I had been sitting.  The mouse immediately ran under some furniture.

Then I spent some time with Daisy trying to catch the mouse again.  Furniture was upended.  I put down items to block the mouse's path and escape routes.  We were all over the living room from one end to another.  Just as the mouse looked like it would get away one of us would block its path.  At one point we all stopped to see what the other would do next.  The mouse was panting as it caught its breath.

At one point Daisy laid down to watch me and the mouse.   In my efforts to get the mouse, the mouse went over and sat by one of Daisy's back feet.  Daisy didn't react.  When the mouse then decided to try to slowly climb over Daisy's leg, she flicked her leg and the mouse.  The chase was back on.

Eventually the mouse crawled into one of the baseboard electric heaters.  I worked on setting out items to block the mouse's possible escape routes.  Daisy laid there looking at the mouse through gaps/vents in the heater.  Sometimes Daisy would roll on her back and then stretch and look back at the mouse.  Sometimes she placed a paw against the heater to get the mouse to react.

The mouse then slipped further in the heater so as not to be seen.  After a bit Daisy wandered off.  I fiddled with the heater to get the mouse to move and become visible.  When the mouse was visible I used a scissors I had close by to pin and kill the mouse.

Daisy came back as I got the mouse out of the heater.  She patted the mouse to get it to 'play' and quickly got bored when the mouse wouldn't move or run.

I opened the opening to the crawl space and Daisy immediately went down to check it out.  She didn't find any more mice. Then we went outside.





As I type this Daisy is laying on a blanket on my lap with her head half hanging over my right side.  She is half laying on her back and her side.  She has her left front leg wrapped over her face and nose so I no longer hear her snore.  Her back left leg is up in the air by my keyboard and her other leg is under the table.

No comments: