Monday, January 6, 2020

Cut eye

Last night Daisy got into a fight with the neighbor's cat.  Most likely over who gets to be in Daisy shed of hay bales.  He came back in the house after dark so I didn't notice his injury.  This morning he didn't want to go outside at his usual time between 4 am to 7 am.  I checked on him after I got up and saw his eye was swollen shut and liquid was running down his face. I made an appointment at my vet clinic and after feeding the cows hay I took Daisy to the vet clinic mid morning.   They learned Daisy's eye cornea was cut.  After the first look at the open injured eye I couldn't look anymore as Daisy's eye condition horrified me.

The vet doctor said he could perform eye surgery and stitch the cornea back together.  A 50/50 chance of saving Daisy's eye. A $425 vet bill but Daisy is worth it.  I wasn't able to speak to the doctor after the surgery when I came to pick up Daisy in the afternoon as the clinic overrun with people and their pets.  A nurse said the doctor said the eye surgery came out better than he was initially concerned with.  Daisy's eye hadn't collapsed so the surgery went better.  So we'll now wait to see if this saves his eye.

I have a follow-up appointment in ten days to remove the eye stitch.  Daisy also has to wear a "buster" collar until then to protect the eye from itch scratching.  Daisy is not happy about the collar.  Earlier I could hear Daisy walk around the house as the collar would scratch against the wall as he walked.  He also had trouble going around corners as the collar would catch on the wall.  And sleeping is different as he can't lay the way he normally does.  Eventually he came and laid next to me for a little while like normal when I started the fire in the wood stove and laid on the floor in front of it.

Daisy's injury is heartbreaking.


No comments: