Thursday, July 3, 2014

Hot, hot, hot

It warmed up Wednesday with a high temperature in the upper 80s.  A big change from the past weekend.  I was hiking most of the day so when I got back home Daisy wanted to be around me.  I went out to work on the fence after 5:30 pm and it was still hot.  Daisy wanted to come with me to the fence.  By the time we reached the fence where I was working Daisy was panting like a dog.

She laid in the shade of the wheel barrow to rest and cool off.


However as I worked along the fence to string more strands of barb wire Daisy wanted to be close to me.   There was little shade for her as I moved along the fence.  She tried to lay in the shade of the black pail but I kept moving it as it had needed staples and wire as I moved along the fence.

Daisy laid out in the sun and a few flies were bothering her causing her to swat at them.  Her mouth was open and she was panting again and breathing fast and heavy. I thought of taking her home but that would mean carrying her and Daisy is not one to be carried. So I sat by her to shade her and get her to stop moving to follow me. After about a half hour to 45 minutes of laying stretched out Daisy had cooled off enough to stop panting and was breathing normally.  Some high clouds also came in front of the sun.  So I woke up (as I had fallen asleep) and continued working on the fence.

Daisy rested some more before getting up and doing her normal stuff of looking for mice and following me as I worked along the fence.




At the end of the evening when I was done, I packed up everything in my wheel barrow and headed home through the pasture rather than follow the wheel tracks through the hayfield.  When I crossed the middle pasture where the cattle were Daisy went in the "ninja mode".  She would hide behind a tree trunk and then when she thought no one was watching would run to another tree where she again hid behind that tree trunk.

No comments: