Sunday, April 12, 2015

Pain meds and better

Daisy gives thanks to my cousin Jen.  Wednesday night Jen convinced me to get pain medication for Daisy.  Thursday morning I got some from the vet.  The pain med is a liquid in a syringe.  It is easy to give to Daisy and she drinks it right down.   Once the med started working her leg pain appears to have gone away.

A few hours later Donna helped me soak Daisy's leg in warm water for five minutes and Daisy didn't put up much of a fuss.  That evening I soaked her leg for nine minutes with little fuss.

Donna had a thermometer and we found Daisy's temperature was 101.7 degrees.  Apparently normal for a cat.

Early Friday afternoon I gave Daisy another pain med as it appears her leg was hurting again.  The leg soak only lasted about four minutes in the afternoon.   The evening leg soak lasted four minutes total: two minutes at a time as she was not as cooperative and started squirming.

Late Friday afternoon I let Daisy outside. I figured she would just sit on the front steps as she limps when walking.  But after a bit she limped over to the patio to check things out.  A little later I carried her to the cattle's water trough to drink.  Even though it was breezy Daisy was content to lay on the ground and look around and listen to the sounds.  Being outside seemed to lift her spirits so I sat with her a bit, then found some project for me by the pole shed.  Daisy mainly sat and soaked up the sun and at times did a little patrolling around the back yard.

After an hour I took her back into the house.  I didn't want Daisy following me as I pulled another large bale out for the cows.

Saturday morning at 6 am Daisy felt much better.  She scratched on the bed and door to get me to let her outside.  I didn't.  Even after she scratched some more.  Then I heard her do lots of scratching in her litter box.  A short time later I lifted her onto the bed and she slept by me till I got up after 10 am.  (I was very tired as I slept 12 hours!)

When I came back inside after checking on the cattle Daisy went outside.  Her leg was better.  It (finally!) wasn't as swollen.  She also didn't need any pain medicine.  She does still limp.

After a while I looked for her.  I found her on top of the camper at one of her favorite sleeping spots. 



She spent much of the afternoon on the camper.  In the evening when I went for an hour bicycle ride she went outside.  She came when I called after getting back home.  Since her leg is not as swollen I skipped the leg soaks on Saturday.  Daisy didn't mind.

So it appears Daisy is on the mend finally.

No comments: