Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Vet visit

This morning I took Daisy to Donna's veterinarian.  Donna came over at 7:15 am to get Daisy and I for the 7:30 am vet visit.  I had woken up at 5 am and never really got back to sleep.  So Daisy and I were ready when Donna came.  Daisy wasn't happy about going into the pet carrier but she did without too much fuss.

The vet called me an hour later to tell me Daisy's bad leg was because she was bitten on her leg.  From the bite mark the vet thought Daisy was bitten by another cat.  Cat bites have lots of bacteria and after a while her leg swelled up and was sore from the infection. The delayed reaction was why Daisy seemed normal when she came inside the house the previous night.  Daisy had a temperature of 104 degrees, two degrees above normal.  Daisy did not have an abscess on her leg.

The vet gave Daisy a ten day acting anti-bacterial shot.  I am to soak (wash) her bad leg three to four times a day in an Epsom salt solution.  This will help prevent Daisy getting an abscess.

I bought a bag of Epsom salts and got Daisy home by 9:30 am,  She immediately got out of the pet carrier and limped around the house looking for a safe place to go.  I opened the door to the spare bedroom as it appeared she wanted in there and didn't have the strength to push the door open.  I lifted her onto the favorite spot on the bed and she settled down to rest.

Later that morning, once she rested, she came out to eat.  I gave her some canned wet cat food - her 'special treat' food.  After she ate I washed her bad leg.  Daisy mostly stayed still but she made a low growl / moan.

After I was done she went back to 'her' bed.


A little upset with me for washing her sore leg.





After I finished working outside and came in the house at 7 pm to watch "The Voice", Daisy came over as soon as I sat down and before I could get my coat off.  She came up on the couch (ok, I lifted her up) and snuggled right up against me.  She rolled on her back, lifted one front paw for me to hold in my hand, looked up with me with love in her eyes, then started to purr before quickly falling asleep.  There I sat for two hours as she laid next to me changing position every so often but always against me.  I love this cat.


Her sore leg is in the foreground.


Later when I was making my supper Daisy came to the kitchen and I gave her the rest of her canned cat food.  Then it was time to wash / soak her sore leg.  Again she was not happy but stayed with only a little encouragement from me.  Again she had a little low growl / moan which is hard for me to hear.  My poor kitty.

After I was done she wanted to go outside but I told her no.  She seems a little better, sometimes hopping and other times limping.  And she is getting around a little bit and eating some now, unlike yesterday.

Daisy quickly forgave me for washing her leg tonight, as when I sat down to work on my computer she came up and laid on my lap and slept for a while.


The veterinarian's office weighed Daisy.  She weighs 15 pounds, 4 ounces.   The vet told me a normal cat weighs 7 to 8 pounds.   The other cat must be some bruiser to get the best of Daisy.  If I ever find that cat it will have one life less.

No comments: