Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Name that cat

We have a new family member.

My neighbor Jan's granddaughter is allergic to cats.  They found this out after taking in a stray cat.  The cat is so mellow and nice - and an indoor cat - that the daughter-in-law thinks someone abandoned it rather than pay the $20 surrender fee at the local animal shelter.

They searched around and couldn't find anyone else to take the cat and it looked like it would be going to the animal shelter.  The local humane society won't take the cat because it doesn't have papers indicating a medical history.

Years ago I used to have a cat but have been content without one since she died.  Tammy is not too fond of owning a cat but she gave her ok if I wanted the cat.  I have my cattle for animals to take care of so I didn't really desire or need a cat.   But it is a very nice and mellow cat so Jan and Stacy wore me down and I agreed to take her.

She arrived late this afternoon when Stacy and the daughter who is allergic brought the cat.  The little girl had tears in her eyes when she left.  She loves animals.  That is part of why Stacy and Jan wanted me to take the cat, so they and their daughters know the cat went to a good home.

The cat checked out the house and paid lots of attention to the closed doors to the bedrooms and basement.  I went down to the basement to get dishes for her food and water and she took that brief opportunity to slip into the basement.  When I didn't notice her walking around anymore I went to the basement and found her climbing around and checking out all the boxes and stuff.

If she hears a door open or close she is up quick to investigate.

I got a basket for her to sleep in but she ignores it.  I know she will sleep in one as when Bob and Jan had her temporarily she took over Jade's basket.  That is also why they didn't keep her.  She may be mellow but she has a strong personality and fought the other cat.  The other cat is smaller and de-clawed so she was on the losing end.

Tammy doesn't want her to lay on the couch or loveseat, but she sneaked up there when Tammy was looking and is there now.

Stacy called her "Lucky".  Jan named her "Lucy".  I was calling her "Lucky Lucy" but Tammy doesn't care for that name.  So we need a name for her.

Checking out the house
 
The cat, like Tammy, doesn't seem to care to have her photo taken.  When she saw me with the camera she closed her eyes for the longest time.  I got a photo with her eyes open when she checked to see if I had put down the camera.


Tammy approved location

Tammy not approved location.

A hour or so last night after I agreed to take the cat we caught a mouse in a mousetrap.  Guess that is a sign we made the right decision.

No comments: